Re: E-M:/ Greenpeace Statement on Dingell's Energy Bill Vote

Enviro-Mich message from Charles Griffith <charlesg@ecocenter.org>

Just to clarify, NHTSA is required to develop separate standards for cars and trucks, but they must all average at least 35 mpg by 2020. Since the original language also required 35 mpg, I'm not sure this really qualifies as weakening the standards. But you are right, we must continue to do more--including getting the utilities and others to do their fair share to reduce global warming emissions.

Charles G.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---
Enviro-Mich message from Mary Sweeters <mary.sweeters@wdc.greenpeace.org>
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

GREENPEACE STATEMENT ON REP. DINGELL’S SUPPORT FOR THE ENERGY BILL

Today, Congressman Dingell voted for the energy bill from which the Senate stripped tax incentives for renewable energy and eliminated a National Renewable Energy Standard of 15 percent. Rep. Dingell also voted for the first version of the bill, which included both increased fuel efficiency and an increase in renewable energy.

Rep. Dingell’s support for the energy bill today should not overshadow
the fact that he was a major force in undermining the automobile fuel
efficiency provision. In the current version, light trucks and sport
utility vehicles will continue to be held to a weaker fuel standard than
passenger cars. The fuel economy provision must be strengthened in the
years ahead.

Because of Rep. Dingell’s work to weaken the fuel efficiency provision,
this bill is a small step in the right direction but falls far short of
what’s necessary to stop global warming. Scientists tell us that to
avoid the worst impacts of global warming, we need even greater fuel
efficiency for all vehicles, increased development of renewable energy,
and at least an 80 percent cut in heat-trapping emissions by 2050. If
Rep. Dingell shares his constituents’ concern about global warming, he
must cosponsor the only comprehensive global warming bill in the
House—the Safe Climate Act. He must rise to his responsibility as the
Chair of the Energy Committee and protect Michigan from the worst
effects of global warming.

CONTACT: Mary Sweeters, Greenpeace
Phone: 707.937.3515 (until 2:30 PT), 951.275.4676 (from 3pm PT)

-30-

Since 1971, Greenpeace has been a leading voice of the environmental
movement. We work throughout the world to protect oceans and ancient
forests, and to fight toxic pollution, genetic engineering, global
warming and nuclear threats. Without compromise, Greenpeace takes on
powerful political and corporate opposition to protect the future of our
planet.

ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives at