Re: E-M:/ Greenpeace Statement on Dingell's Energy Bill Vote

The CAFE standards passed in this bill are probably the best compromise attainable right now.  Dingell initially fought for 32 mpg by 2022.  Reportedly, under pressure by Pelosi he lost this battle.  Having seen the new writing on the wall, Dingell, who has fought against increased CAFE standards for years on behalf of Detroit, has apparently seen the new writing on the wall and successfully sold the new increase to the Big Three.

While not as aggressive as many of us might have liked, 35 by 2020 is a huge improvement over the current CAFE standards and is better than anyone could have dreamed was politically possible a year ago.

Steve Gutterman