E-M:/ President Signs Landmark Oil Savings Legislation, Thanks to Dingell

For Immediate Release: December 19, 2007
For More Information: Abby Rubley, Environment Michigan

                                         (734) 662-9797

President Signs Landmark Oil Savings Legislation, Renewable Energy Policies are Critical Next Steps

Statement of Abby Rubley, Environment Michigan Field Director

The President called for an increase in CAFE in his 2007 State of the Union address and Congress has signed, sealed, and delivered it to him. Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Reid, along with Chairman Dingell and Chairman Markey, deserve tremendous credit for breaking the decades-long log jam on fuel economy.

This improvement in fuel economy will make real progress on global warming. By making our cars go farther on a gallon of gas, we can cut global warming pollution by more than the total annual emissions of countries like Brazil, France or Spain.

We are thrilled that this Congress has turned a corner on energy policy by delivering long-overdue oil savings for America, but we are disappointed the President has blocked progress on renewable energy. The original House-passed energy bill contained popular renewable electricity standards now in place in 25 states as well as provisions to close tax loopholes for Big Oil to fund renewable energy projects.  White House opposition to the renewable electricity standard and to the tax package helped lead to these provisions being dropped on the Senate floor.

We look forward to taking the next step toward a new energy future by passing renewable energy standards and incentives when Congress returns in 2008, and urge the President to make signing a renewable energy bill a cornerstone of his final year in office.

30-30-30

Abby Rubley

Field Director

Environment Michigan