E-M:/ RE: / the western UP mining district

Several other companies are exploring in the area as well. In addition to the Rio Tinto exploration mentioned below, there is exploration going on in the Menominee/Marinette area that is pretty far along. Other companies are exploring for nickel, diamonds and uranium. If I recall correctly, some of the diamond sites are underneath the McCormick Wilderness area in the Ottawa National Forest (which is not exempt from mining).

One of the real concerns here is that the DEQ has set a very low bar for compliance with Michigan’s Part 632 Mining Law. None of the other companies will expect to need a permit application any better than Kennecott’s flawed application to get a permit.

John Rebers

From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net [mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Dave Dempsey
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:24 PM
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: E-M:/ the western UP mining district

Now they tell us, after DEQ grants approval to a nickel/copper mine at the headwaters of the Salmon Trout/Yellow Dog rivers.

Rio Tinto news release dated 17 December 2007:

"Our focus is on six further adjacent prospects that may have the potential to extend significantly the mine life at current planned production rates."

Perhaps "six further adjacent prospects" and others now pursued by other companies should have been part of an environmental impact study before permits for any new mines were issued. Is the western UP now going to be carved up for mining?

http://daviddempsey.typepad.com/davesblog/files/Rio_Tinto_to_enter_nickel_market_with__300_million_Eagle_mine_commitment-1.pdf