DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Develop River Budget portion of Citizen's Agenda for Rivers, working with other appropriate staff.
2. Coordinate organization work on federal appropriations and advocate for federal appropriations for river protection and restoration.
3. Coordinate organization response to anti-river "riders" on federal appropriations bills.
4. Take primary responsibility for one or two additional congressional advocacy efforts each Congress.
5. Assist with preparations for River Lobby Day; take primary responsibility for scheduling meetings for Lobby Day activists.
6. Prepare or supervise preparation of weekly River Policy Update.
7. Coordinate junior staff to conduct "Hill drops".
8. Supervise government affairs intern.
9. Perform other duties as assigned within Government Affairs department.
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Ability to work collaboratively in promoting the goals and objectives of the organization.
2. Superior written and oral communication skills.
3. Creative and strategic thinking.
4. Demonstrated skills working in coalitions and collaborating with other organizations.
5. Ability to work independently.
6. Ability to perform multiple tasks effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
7. Ability to motivate professional colleagues at all levels of the organization, including staff, board and funders.
8. Bachelor's degree in a relevant field of study such as government, political science, natural science, or resource management.
9. A minimum of four (4) years experience in government relations and/or in a congressional office is required.
10. Strong leadership, lobbying, and writing and oral communications skills are necessary.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, dental, and life insurance, retirement plan, and generous leave benefits. American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applications should include a writing sample, resume, professional references, and a letter addressed to: Human Resources; American Rivers, 1101 14th Street, NW, Suite 1400, Washington, DC 20005 or via e-mail: jobs@AmericanRivers.org. No phone calls please.