E-M:/ Fw: Michigan legislature

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2007 10:10 PM
Subject: Fw: Michigan legislature

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2007 8:20 PM

Subject: Michigan legislature

Sounds like a very good idea to me!  Me too...

According  to an article in the 'Detroit Free Press'  (Nov. 14, 2007),
 editorial section, page 10 A, attorney and business owner, Henry
Woloson,  from Clarkston, MI, is heading a movement to place a proposal on
the 2008  ballot for a part-time legislature in Michigan.

Some facts he  provided:
1 - 46 states have part-time legislatures.
2 - Michigan has 148  full-time legislators.
3 - Michigan has  23% more legislators than California. We have a population
of 10  million. California's is 36 million.
4 -  California is the only state in the  US that pays its lawmakers  more than
Michigan.
5 - $115 million-plus is  allocated each year for the operation of the
legislature.
This does not  include lifetime health benefits for former legislators.

Under the new  proposal:
1 - Legislative sessions would be limited to 90 days between Jan.  1 and
April 30 each year.
2 - Special sessions could be ca lled - no  additional compensation.
3 - Elimination of lifetime benefits for  legislators.
4 - Freezing salaries pending later review.
5 - Downsizing  from 148 members to 100 members. (75 representative and 25
senators)
6  - Estimated annual savings - more than $30 million.

Other current  considerations:
1 - Extending term limits to 12 years for voters who value  legislative
experience.
2 - Having terms of both representative and  senators be 4 years with 1/2 of
each group standing for election every 2  years.

Quote:
'Michigan needs our state government to  become more productive and less
expensive with greater accountability. We  hope concerned Michigan citizens
will support our  efforts to let the voters decide if they wish to join the
vast majority of  states effectively operating with a part-time legislature.'

Please  forward to  all that you t hink might be  interested.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.