Re: E-M:/ Proposal for a Part Time Legislature

Enviro-Mich message from williamtobler@critterswoods.org

I agree largely with Chris.

Michigan largely needs, at this time, legislators that are thoughtful and
caring.

Clearly, much of the current population at Lansing fail to meet this
minimal criteria.  This Free Press article is only trying to make worse
what is already bad, by and for the same people.

> Dear Shirley, Dana, and the rest,
>
> The proposal to mandate a part time legislature is one of those Alice-
> in-Wonderland ideas where up is down.
> First, clearly Michigan faces a crisis that goes beyond dollars and
> sense to include leadership and vision.
> If anyone thinks cutting taxes will solve Michigan's problems, you
> need to go hang out with Betsy DeVos who sits in a multi-million
> dollar mansion criticizing Michigan workers for making too much money.
>
> What Michigan needs, in my opinion, is an informed, representative
> legislature that has the experience and resources to tackle
> ecological, economic and human challenges before us.
>
> We pay our legislators well to enable ordinary people to represent
> us, not just the rich and powerful.
> If the only people who can run for public office are the rich, then
> the vast majority of Michiganders are truly buggered, to use the
> English term for it.
>
> Moreover, in this time of ecological crisis, no one regardless of
> their income or wealth, is going to survive unless the community
> pulls together, to work together with nature and each other.
>
> I propose that we eliminate term limits so that we can have elected
> representatives with the experience necessary to actual debate and
> resolve the problems before us. Right now, term limits empowers
> mainly lobbyists who represent the collective memory in Lansing.
>
> I propose that we continue to pay our representatives enough money to
> enable ordinary people to serve.
> And I propose we realize that a return to the 13th Century with the
> rich hiding in their gated community castles, hoping the serfs in the
> surrounding land don't organize to take them down is the surest way
> to destroy our state and our society.
>
> My thoughts on Christmas morning before everyone awakes.
>
> Chris Bedford
>
> Chris Bedford
> Center for Economic Security
> #6543 Hancock Road
> Montague, MI 49437
> 231-893-3937
> 231-670-4817 (cell)
> chrisbedford@charter.net
> www.center4economicsecurity.org
> www.chrisbedfordfilms.com
>
> The Center for Economic Security produces programs, media, and
> campaigns to build ecological understanding among consumers and to
> promote ecological intelligence in private and public decisionmaking.
>

> On Dec 25, 2007, at 9:04 AM, dana wrote:

>>> 2 - Michigan has 148  full-time legislators.
>>> 3 - Michigan has  23% more legislators than California. We have a
>>> population
>>> of 10  million. California's is 36 million.
>>> 4 -  California is the only state in the  US that pays its
>>> lawmakers  more than
>>> Michigan.
>>> 5 - $115 million-plus is  allocated each year for the operation of
>>> the
>>> legislature.
>>> This does not  include lifetime health benefits for former
>>> legislators.
>>>
>>> Under the new  proposal:
>>> 1 - Legislative sessions would be limited to 90 days between Jan.
>>> 1 and
>>> April 30 each year.
>>> 2 - Special sessions could be ca lled - no  additional compensation.
>>> 3 - Elimination of lifetime benefits for  legislators.
>>> 4 - Freezing salaries pending later review.
>>> 5 - Downsizing  from 148 members to 100 members. (75
>>> representative and 25
>>> senators)
>>> 6  - Estimated annual savings - more than $30 million.
>>>
>>> Other current  considerations:
>>> 1 - Extending term limits to 12 years for voters who value
>>> legislative
>>> experience.