Enviro-Mich message from dwelker@up.net

Regardless of any changes in the status of the Michigan legislature, I will require year-round access to my legislators.  Do citizens have that in states with part-time legislatures?

         -doug-

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 09:04:34 -0500, dana <dschindler@jackpine.net> said:

----- Original Message -----
From: Shirley Skiera
To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2007 10:10 PM
Subject: Fw: Michigan legislature

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom and Karen Kubanek
To: bob taylor ; Bob & Jan ; marge ; Chuck Keil ; Phyllis Krol ; Midge Kubanek ; Lois Boonstra ; jetyson@jackpine.com ; Joel & Kate ; jane s oliver ; susan stoel ; Shirley Skiera ; Tom Kubanek
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2007 8:20 PM

Subject: Michigan legislature

   Sounds like a very good idea to me!  Me too...

           According  to an article in the 'Detroit Free Press'  (Nov. 14, 2007),
            editorial section, page 10 A, attorney and business owner, Henry
           Woloson,  from Clarkston, MI, is heading a movement to place a proposal on
           the 2008  ballot for a part-time legislature in Michigan.

           Some facts he  provided:
           1 - 46 states have part-time legislatures.
           2 - Michigan has 148  full-time legislators.
           3 - Michigan has  23% more legislators than California. We have a population
           of 10  million. California's is 36 million.
           4 -  California is the only state in the  US that pays its lawmakers  more than
           Michigan.
           5 - $115 million-plus is  allocated each year for the operation of the
           legislature.
           This does not  include lifetime health benefits for former legislators.

           Under the new  proposal:
           1 - Legislative sessions would be limited to 90 days between Jan.  1 and
           April 30 each year.
           2 - Special sessions could be ca lled - no  additional compensation.
           3 - Elimination of lifetime benefits for  legislators.
           4 - Freezing salaries pending later review.
           5 - Downsizing  from 148 members to 100 members. (75 representative and 25
           senators)
           6  - Estimated annual savings - more than $30 million.

           Other current  considerations:
           1 - Extending term limits to 12 years for voters who value  legislative
           experience.
           2 - Having terms of both representative and  senators be 4 years with 1/2 of
           each group standing for election every 2  years.

           Quote:
           'Michigan needs our state government to  become more productive and less
           expensive with greater accountability. We  hope concerned Michigan citizens
           will support our  efforts to let the voters decide if they wish to join the
           vast majority of  states effectively operating with a part-time legislature.'

           Please  forward to  all that you t hink might be  interested.