Re: E-M:/ What were the most important environmental issues/stories/events of 2007?

Enviro-Mich message from "Cynthia Price" <skyprice@gmail.com>

It probably comes as no surprise that I would vote for "continuing
surge in farmers markets," and I applaud you for comprehending the
environmental implications of that. The word "locavore" was Oxford
University Press's 2007 word of the year, and the recognition that
local food and economic systems are a solution to many of the world's
woes is growing, practically daily.

Another story, which to the best of my knowledge has not been written,
might be the success in Michig an of smaller farmers' markets in
low-income areas: ours in the South East Area of Grand Rapids, the
Allen Street in Lansing (I believe), a few others (Ypsilanti?), as
well as the use of food-stamp bridge cards, including at markets like
Sweetwater in Muskegon, which help to take the elitism out of the food
systems movement. Increase in local organics and ecologically-friendly
season extension (particularly the experimental student farm at MSU)
are also related.

These are more about sustainability than siloed environmentalism, but
as always I would hope the connections could be made.

By the way, I also agree strongly with David Holtz's first choice, on
the definition of standing under MEPA.

Cynthia Price
Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council