From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Doug Welker
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2007 11:20 AM
To: David Holtz; enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: Re: E-M:/ What were the most important environmental
issues/stories/events of 2007?

Enviro-Mich message from Doug Welker <dwelker@up.net>

Here are a few more:

1.  The purchase of 2000 acres of land by the Trust For Public Land in the
western U.P., 1800 acres of which was was private land within Sturgeon River
Gorge Wilderness.  The land includes Sturgeon Falls and the 350-foot deep
bedrock section of the gorge.  The land will eventually be sold to the
Ottawa National Forest.
2.  The Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund board's approval for state
purchase of a number of key properties that will enhance protection of river
corridors and other special areas.  (I know this is an annual event, but it
should still be recognized for its importance) 3.  Proposed development by
the Upper Peninsula Power Company/Wisconsin Public Service of shorelines on
a number of lakes  in the western half of the U.P.  Shoreline development on
most of these lakes is currently minimal.
4.  The spread of viral hemorrhagic septiciemia in Michigan waters.  This
disease affects almost 50 species of fish, and can cause catastrophic
dieoffs in some species, particularly salmonids (trout, etc.).  Much of its
spread to inland lakes has been the result of the transportation of
contaminated minnows that are used for bait, and this year the DNR has
imposed tough new regulations for minnow dealers.  The potential effects on
our aquatic ecosystems could be significant.

         -doug-

enviro-mich"