Re: E-M:/ What were the most important environmental issues/stories/events of 2007?

Enviro-Mich message from "Cynthia Price" <skyprice@gmail.com>

Chris, et al --

I think the disappearing diporeia story got a lot more coverage when
it was first reported in the early 2000s -- and I would suggest that
Tom Nalepa, the researcher who originally discovered the downward
trend, would be an excellent person to contact. I recall that at least
the Muskegon Chronicle (Jeff Alexander) did a whole lot of coverage at
the time of the 2003 State of the Lakes conference when Nalepa updated
his 2001 State of the Lakes report on the diporeia.

I remember talking to Nalepa at the time (2003) and the word I would
use is "distraught" to describe how strongly he felt about the problem
and how much he wanted to figure out what caused it. Most were leaning
toward the zebra mussel-invasives theory, and there was another little
flurry of coverage relating to some other invasives stuff not too long
ago. But whatever the origin of the disappearance, it was and is cause
for great alarm.

It's easy to find contact info for Tom Nalepa, who is at the Ann Arbor
Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory (of NOAA), by Googling
him.

Cynthia
Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council
Chair, Muskegon Lake Watershed Partnership