Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2007 1:30 PM
Subject: E-M:/ Recycling better than deposit law

The Republican Senators Gerry Van Woerkom and Sen Patty Birkholz Nestle Ice Mountain supporters are pushing any diversion away from bottle deposits especially on their 5.7Gal Great Lakes water diversion containers.

Expanding the bottle bill is not the answer. Today, most of the communities in Michigan have curbside recycling where bottles, cans, plastic, steel, aluminum, etc., are collected. Our industry is calling for curbside recycling of all recyclables, including newspapers, and the creation of recycling centers where recyclables can be taken. Funding can come from what we call the Penny Plan, in which 1 cent is added to your grocery bill. Whatever small amount is collected will help pay for establishing these centers.