---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Pohl-Kosbau, Leslie <PKLESLIE@ci.portland.or.us>
Date: Jan 2, 2008 2:55 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/29/us/29parks.html

Detroit Considers Sale of City's Small Parks

Save for a rusty, seatless swing set, the Brinket-Hibbard Playlot resembles
many vacant lots pockmarking Detroit's hardscrabble east side.
Fabrizio Costantini for The New York Times
snip
The Recreation Department's master plan calls the proposal "park
repositioning," which officials promote as a clear-eyed way to look at
necessary downsizing, a way to align park space with the significant
demographic shifts over the last half-century in Detroit, which has lost
about a million people since 1950.
But critics say it could further hurt downtrodden areas where parks are
equally appreciated, and that green space is too precious to be bartered for
money.
"They call some of these parks 'surplus,'" said City Councilwoman JoAnn
Watson, an opponent of the plan, "but I don't know what the heck that means
because there is no such thing as a surplus of something that is necessary
for the good and welfare of the community. The very concept of selling off
public parkland in somebody's hope to address a one-time money crunch is not
something you do as a big city. We have to protect these parks for future
generations."
snip