E-M:/ gasoline and the Boardman River

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 4, 2008

Contact:  Robert McCann
               (517) 241-7397

DEQ to Continue Cleanup in Traverse City

The Department of Environmental Quality has authorized $450,000 for the
removal of contaminated soil along the banks of the Boardman River in
Traverse City that dates back to a large release of gasoline in 1958
from underground storage tanks at a former gasoline station, now the
Evans Paint and Wallpaper site.  The release caused soil and groundwater
contamination that discharged into the nearby river.

During the 1990s, private funds were used to address the contamination
and subsequent state funds have been used to treat the contaminated soil
and groundwater. Although the treatment has significantly reduced the
contamination entering the river, a recent drop in water levels revealed
an approximately 25 foot area along the riverbank where the soil is
highly odorous and saturated with petroleum.  The DEQ will use the
funding announced today to remove the petroleum saturated soils along
the riverbank.

â??Leaking underground storage tanks continue to pose a tremendous risk
to our environment and the health of our families,â?? said DEQ Director
Steven E. Chester.    â??There are unfortunately thousands of sites like
this one across our state with extremely limited resources available for
the DEQ to address them.â??

Funding for this project comes from Michiganâ??s Refined Petroleum
Fund.

#####

657 Spartan Avenue,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com