E-M:/ water woes/deep south

Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

I'm just back from a long car trip to Florida, via I-75 until around Ocala (in a car that gets 50 mpg on the highway, I assure you). I want to report: Georgia has way, way too many billboards and construction (ugliest stretch of road in the contiguous U.S.-- don't spend your tourist dollars there) and way, way too little water. Around Miami, the county commissioners voted to override the mayor, who tried to veto an attempt to allow development outside the previously defined development limit (a little confusing, but the environment lost). The populace in the Miami region is upset, because, for the umpteenth time in recent years, there are restrictions on water use throughout the area, and yet they're building more homes.
Two questions: 1. when will the American public ever vote for their own interests?
2. When will we ever learn?
Anna
Anna Kirkwood Graham, J.D., Ph.D.
"There is no trifling with nature; it is always true, grave and severe; it is always in the right, and the faults and errors fall to our share."
-- Goethe