E-M:/ RE: / Recommendations for Michigan's January 15 primary

Enviro-Mich message from "Link, Terry" <link@mail.lib.msu.edu>

As of the moment, there will be only six options on the January 15th
ballot: Clinton, Dodd, Gravel, Kucinich, Uncommitted and Write-in.
Write-in ballots will not be counted, so they are a waste vote. Dodd has
withdrawn, but his name will likely be on the ballot because they were
printed before he withdrew.

If the candidate you prefer is not listed on the ballot, you are being
advised by the party to select "Uncommitted". However, be advised that
when you vote uncommitted your vote goes into a pool. At the Democratic
Party meeting in late March delegates for all of the candidates, but
especially Biden, Edwards, Obama, and Richardson and maybe Gore, will
wrestle to get some of their delegates picked by those caucusing with
the uncommitted slate. Depending upon the size of the uncommitted vote
at the January 15th primary there may be very few delegates, perhaps as
little as one per congressional district to represent all those voters
who selected 'uncommitted'. Thus there is no guarantee that if you favor
Biden, Edwards, Obama or Richardson, that the delegate selected would
support your candidate.

So what do you do? Here's my advice: If you support Clinton, Dodd,
Gravel or Kucinich, clearly vote for them in the primary. They need 15%
or more of the vote to be assured of delegates to the convention. If you
don't support any of them then I suggest you vote for the candidate that
most closely matches your personal stand on issues among the four. (Try
going to www.change.org  to see where the candidates stand in relation
to your own view of important issues.)

The official word is that Michigan delegates will not be seated at the
national convention, but word among the politicos is that, unless the
eventual Democratic nominee wants to write off Michigan in the fall
election, those delegates will be seated.

My thinking on this is that the delegates chosen for the convention that
support the candidate most closely aligned with your values are more
likely to make other choices that most closely align with your own after
the the first ballot to which they are committed. Delegates to the
convention have a say on the following things:

1)  If no one candidate has a plurality by the convention, they help
determine who becomes the nominee. After the first ballot, delegates are
free to consider other candidates.

2)  Delegates have a say in the vice-presidential running mate.

3)  Delegates have a say in the development of the party platform
approved at the convention.

 Now for transparency I'll offer the following confessions:

1)  I am a Kucinich supporter. I believe he is the best candidate across
all issues - war and peace, environment, social and economic justice,
campaign finance, health care. He has been a consistent voice for the
downtrodden, for peace over war, for constraints on the global power of
multinational corporations which show no allegiance to any community or
nation or the planet we all share. I don't believe it is possible for
him to win the nomination as the deck is stacked against him in many
ways. However, I believe the voice he brings to the issues needs to be
heard more broadly and needs to be represented as the process unfolds.
So if you are in doubt, I urge you to vote for Kucinich.

2)  It is possible that I could decide to campaign as a delegate to the
convention. I probably won't (way too busy to take a week in the summer
to deal with party politics) but since I haven't ruled it out entirely I
felt the need to be honest about it. If I do, I'll seek to be a delegate
for Kucinich.

We know all the arguments about jockeying to make sure your vote does
what you want it to do. We are tempted to trade off what we want, for
what we think is possible. When we continue to do this we lose what our
heart yearns for us to do. If we never vote our heart, what happens to
it? Primaries are clearly the place where we need to reconnect our heart
into the electoral marketplace. Please re-visit www.change.org  and take
the "presidential quiz" (top right side of toolbar) and vote as close to
your personal preference as you can in the upcoming primary.

No one knows as I write this what the political alignment will look like
on that January 15th morning when we head to the polls - who's leading,
who has momentum, all the horserace stuff we'll be bombarded with for
the next 10 months. If Michigan Democrats were to vote their hearts,
they just might help shift the direction of the debate to the issues
they feel strongest about. Please vote for what you believe in.

Terry Link,
One planet, One family, One future