Re: E-M:/ How About 20% Renewable Energy by 2008?

Enviro-Mich message from "Cynthia Price" <skyprice@gmail.com>

Mayor Heartwell also promised to work aggressively toward achieving
100% renewable power by "the end of  the next decade" -- I assume
that's by 2020. Don't know if the City Commission or staff have
committed to that yet, but I would hope that our state elected
officials sit up and take notice.

In addition, it's worth pointing out that that has not meant a
sacrifice in economic viability. While of course there is still a lot
to be done to ensure that everyone gets a piece of the pie, the amount
of new businesses and genuine revitalization and redevelopment in
Grand Rapids during that same time period should demonstrate that
"green" policies don't automatically preclude sound economic
development.

I don't think anyone on Enviro-Mich noted it, but the West Michigan
Strategic Alliance and The Right Place (G.R. economic development
non-profit) released a report in December indicating that West
Michigan is well-positioned to use alternative and renewable energy to
drive economic recovery. In particular, the author stressed the
capacity for manufacturing such necessary infrastructure products as
wind turbines, and the very practical applied research at Michigan
Alternative & Renewable Energy Center in Muskegon. There are already
area manufacturers taking advantage of this, area businesses
contracting for wind-produced energy, and, of course, the incentive
provided by cities like Grand Rapids.

Cynthia Price
Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council