E-M:/ Job announcement - field organizer positions with Greenpeace

Enviro-Mich message from Mary Sweeters <mary.sweeters@wdc.greenpeace.org>

Global Warming Field Organizer
Greenpeace, the world’s leading international environmental organization, is seeking passionate organizers who are ready to stop global warming. Scientists say we must act now to stop the worst effects of climate change: more severe hurricanes, heat waves, droughts, floods, and sea level rise. We have the solutions and the technology to solve global warming, but the political will is lacking. Greenpeace’s cutting-edge Project Hot Seat is leading the charge to convince Congress to take significant action to stop global warming. Our field team is mobilizing thousands of citizens to make global warming a key issue in the 2008 elections. Greenpeace Field Organizers will make sure that Congress pays attention to the people they represent instead of powerful corporate interests.

History
Greenpeace was founded in 1971 by a small group of activists standing up to nuclear testing off the Alaskan Coast. These daring few effectively won a total ban on nuclear testing and launched Greenpeace’s legacy of “bearing witness” to environmental abuse. We continue to use non-violent direct action, creative confrontation, and grassroots organizing to build solutions to global warming, toxic pollution, and destruction of our ancient forests and oceans. Today, Greenpeace is the world’s largest environmental organization, with 2.5 million members in 40 countries, and continues to lead the way to a clean and peaceful planet.

Job Scope and Responsibilities:
Greenpeace Field Organizers are driven, articulate, strategic, and able to quickly and effectively inspire a community to challenge their member of Congress to stop global warming. Each organizer will plan and implement a community-based campaign to mobilize the public and work with Congress to make global warming a legislative priority.

Specific responsibilities include:
• Recruit and train campaign volunteers and key coalition partners
• Plan and execute global warming education and outreach events
• Generate media coverage on the issue of global warming
• Build relationships with Congress to ensure long-term action
• Implement other tactics to pressure congressional targets to become champions
• Quickly develop knowledge of global warming issues

Skills and accomplishments:
•	Demonstrated leadership experience
•	Able to inspire a diverse group of people
•	Strong communication skills including public speaking, written and oral
•	Critical thinking and time-management skills
•	Able to keep a level head in a fast-paced campaign environment
•	Commitment to grassroots organizing as a means of affecting change

How to apply: Send resume and cover letter to Anna Wagner, Senior Organizing Manager, hotseatjobs@sfo.greenpeace.org. Preferred application deadline: February 18th, 2008; final deadline April 28th; 2008 Two start dates: Mid-April 2008 or Mid-June 2008. Campaign expected to end December 2008.

Salary: $30,660 plus paid medical and dental, generous paid vacation package and more. BA/BS Degree preferred or equivalent experience. Nationwide positions available, willingness to relocate preferred. Leadership opportunities for top candidates. Greenpeace encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBT individuals to apply.

--

Mary Sweeters

Field Organizer
Project Hot Seat