Re: E-M:/ alternative energy industry

Absolutely! and that was the gist of the governor's state of the state last week.  Believe it or not, Michigan is already home to the largest producer of polycrystalline silicon for solar cells... our industrial base is extremely well suited to all kinds of advanced energy and renewables components manufacture...

Zoe Lipman
Regional Senior Manager, Global Warming
National Wildlife Federation, Great Lakes Office
213 W. Liberty St, Suite 200, Ann Arbor MI 48104

Direct: (734) 887-7108 (new)
Office main (734) 769-3351
Cell:  (734) 834-9344
lipman@nwf.org

>>> "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu> 2/4/2008 9:53 AM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

From Friday's New York Times; could something like this be a blueprint for
regenerating Michigan's industrial economy?

"While interest in alternative energy is climbing across the United States,
solar power especially is rising in California, the product of billions of
dollars in investment and mountains of enthusiasm.

In recent months, the industry has added several thousand jobs in the
production of solar energy cells and installation of solar panels on roofs.
A spate of investment has also aimed at making solar power more efficient
and less costly than natural gas and coal.

Entrepreneurs, academics and policy makers say this era’s solar industry
is different from what was tried in the 1970s, when Jerry Brown, then the
governor of California, invited derision for envisioning a future fueled by
alternative energy.

They point to companies like SolarCity, an installer of rooftop solar cells
based in Foster City. Since its founding in 2006, it has grown to 215
workers and $29 million in annual sales. “It is hard to find
installers,” said Lyndon Rive, the chief executive. “We’re at the
stage where if we continue to grow at this pace, we won’t be able to
sustain the growth.”

SunPower, which makes the silicon-based cells that turn sunlight into
electricity, reported 2007 revenue of more than $775 million, more than
triple its 2006 revenue. The company expects sales to top $1 billion this
year. SunPower, based in San Jose, said its stock price grew 251 percent in
2007, faster than any other Silicon Valley company, including Apple and
Google.

Not coincidentally, three-quarters of the nation’s demand for solar comes
from residents and companies in California. “There is a real economy —
multiple companies, all of which have the chance to be billion-dollar
operators,” said Daniel M. Kammen, a professor in the energy and resources
group at the University of California, Berkeley. California, he says, is
poised to be both the world’s next big solar market and its
entrepreneurial center."

Anna Kirkwood Graham, J.D., Ph.D.
"There is no trifling with nature; it is always true, grave and severe; it
is always in the right, and the faults and errors fall to our share."
-- Goethe