Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: E-M:/ alternative energy industry

I can see Michigan benefitting from the production side of such a move. But I think as far as an energy resource, from what I've heard, solar probably isn't ideal for Michigan. Larry Kaufman from DTE discussed the various renewable energy sources at his presentation in Novi this past week and of the alternatives, he stated that solar was the most expensive with the longest pay-off time. Larry had a graphic that showed that even in Boulder, Colorado, which is one of the sunniest cities in the country, solar doesn't pay off for a long time. For a homeowner, it sounded like the best investment to save money and help the environment was a geothermal heating and cooling system. One of the problems with solar is that it produces the electricity when most of us are not home to use it. Storing that energy for later use is expensive and inefficient. Also, until the cost of solar comes down, it's not going to be competitive with other renewable energy sources. From what I've read about the movement in California, it's a combination of government mandates and consumer desire that is pushing the explosion of solar. But in Michigan, we should probably focus on systems that work best for our location. Otherwise, we could undermine long-term support for renewable systems by pushing those that sound appealing but then don't pan out in the long run.

Andrew Mutch
Novi