The Recycling Committee of the Muskegon Area Sustainability Coalition toured the Muskegon County landfill a while back (the government-owned, not private) and it was overfilled with plastic bags. I believe we intend to make that kind of recycling a priority, though we're hoping to do a baseline study shortly which might change that.

Cynthia Price
Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council

On Feb 4, 2008 1:00 PM, Andrew Mutch <andrewimutch@yahoo.com> wrote:
What is the status of these bags in the recycling stream? Does anyone collect them? Or do they have to be landfilled? I agree that we want to move away from them but until we do, it would be great if we could get them out of the trash system.

Andrew Mutch
Novi

----- Original Message ----
From: Larry Nooden <ldnum@umich.edu>
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Sent: Monday, February 4, 2008 12:55:43 PM
Subject: Re: E-M:/ plastic bags

About 20 years ago, Australia switched to bio- and UV-degradable plastic
bags, and that diminished the litter, especially around garbage dumps.

I believe the plastics that we use in these bags are banned in Europe, at
least in N Europe.  Their bags can be incinerated without generating
dioxins, etc.

and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.  Archives at

Postings to:  enviro-mich@great-lakes.net      For info, send email to