E-M:/ population/environmentalism

Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

Look, wealthy white Americans should be having big families even less than poor, black Africans, because wealthy white children in the U.S. burn up more of the earth's resources than anyone else alive. But no one should, anywhere. READ THIS MESSAGE CAREFULLY.

Why is it so radical to suggest on an environmental email list that global population growth needs to slow down? The World Wildlife Fund came to exactly that same conclusion in a major report just a couple of years ago. What is so dreadful about asking people anywhere to have two children instead of eight, so that they themselves can be wealthier, their children healthier and better educated, and so that they can have adequate food to eat and water to drink? Honest to Pete, I can't understand why this is offensive.
Not to mention the little fringe benefit that ALL life on earth can be sustained.
Anna