Re: E-M:/ Save the Date: May 6-7, 2008 - Great Lakes Wind Collaborative 1st A...

You are correct that we need to be thinking of ways to hold more meetings electronically.  Some certainly could done that way, which would reduce our carbon footprint and save us $ as well.  I often do not attend meetings very far away because of high travel, lodging, and registration fees.  An additional plus of an electronic meetings could be the lack of long keynote speaches!

However, much of the benefit of many meetings is the personal contacts that are made at such meetings.  I'm not sure that issue couldn't be worked out with electronic meetings, but I often meet interesting new people and hear interesting ideas while in one-on-one discussions and small group discussions at such meetings

I am more bothered by the inefficient travel arrangements that are often made.  I have often attended meetings, driving on my own, only to find one or two peolpe at the meeting who could have carpooled with me, but unfortunately not only did the meeting organizers fail to organize carpooling, they never even sent out a list of attendees, with addresses and phone numbers, so that people could get in contact for carpooling on their own.  Certainly, when registering ahead of time, one should be able to check a box on the registration form indicating that they would like to carpool, and the list of those who did so could be posted on the internet or sent to all registrants who checked that box.

"Thinking outside the box" is going to be increasingly important in the coming decades, and now is the time to start.  The world needs to realize that is going be increangly trading convenience for a reduced carbon footprint and reduced consumption.

           -doug-