Re: E-M:/ Threatened shorelines

I am not certain which meeting this man attended....

But, at the last Master Planning Committee meeting for these three parks, in Alpena, in January -- at which draft zoning plans were reviewed -- I think it is fair to say the overwhelming sentiment of members of the committee, MDNR staff, and its consultants is to leave Newegon and Thompson's Harbor as natural parks, leave most of Rockport as a natural park, and concentrate development that would serve all three (meaning that which could have strong negative impact on natural features) in the vicinity of Rockport's harbor.

It would therefore be entirely misleading to say in this forum that "development" is planned for these parks.  They are, indeed, very interesting and valuable places!

This thinking departs very greatly (toward honoring and sustaining natural features on these parks) from all previous, and currently applicable master plans!

Perhaps for some reason he was suggesting prohibiting those things that are completely compatible with sustaining natural features such as trails and pathways, viewpoints, minimal signage, minimal parking areas, widely dispersed rustic camping sites, hiking, non-motorized hunting, etc.)?  If that was his position then I would suspect most folks involved would find such a position as unreasonable, impractical, and ill-advised.

I assume he was just misinformed about the larger plans......but I must respond to the post so that others in this forum are not misinformed.

It should be noted that there has been a gigantic sea change of people and approaches within the MDNR, in recent years (I have been closely involved with them in this kind of planning for three decades).  Natural features and natural ecosystems are recognized, are incorporated into plans from the outset, and to the (woefully inadequate) extent funds allow -- are cared for via stewardship efforts.  There is an increasing effort at all levels and in all endeavors of the Department to have a keen, state-wide view of our natural features and natural communities -- to make certain we are holding dear the full complement of our natural resources.

I would suggest that we should be applauding both the planning process for these three parks, and the very likely outcome.

Chris.