E-M:/ Sustainability - Save Earth, Save Ourselves

Enviro-Mich message from Aaron Wissner <aaronwissner@yahoo.com>

Even though I don't know you, I thought you might be interested in how things
are coming with the "International Conference on Peak Oil and Climate Change:
Paths to Sustainability", in Grand Rapids, May 30 - June 1.

Well, so far, so good. We already have a very good list of speakers from Michigan,
as well as several confirmed nationally known speakers. My goal is to have the "call
for proposals/speakers" ready by the end of the weekend, so if you would like to
speak, or know people who might, that we can get things rolling.

The purpose of the conference, as you probably figured out, is to "Save Earth". Those
two words were the original purpose of my nonprofit (Local Future) which is
organizing the conference... until I discovered that 501(c)(3) tax-exempt rules
require a bit more... ahem... detail. Specificity in the "purpose" statement...

In any event, whether it is called the "Conference to Save Earth", or the "Michigan
Sustainability Conference", or the "What the Heck is Peak Oil and Why do I Care
Anyway?" conference, or the "What Michigan Can Do to Protect Itself from
Climate Change, High Inflation, and Recession" or the "How are CAFO's
and Water Vampires like Hydras?" conference...

...it is all the same thing...

...because we are the culture of unsustainability... and to get to our goals of making real,
lasting change, we have to not only accept that increasingly-difficult-to-ignore fact, but
also understand this unsustainability at its deepest levels, so that we can chart a course
to true vision (and supporting value system) for a sustainable civilization, and then figure
out the various paths that will get us there (without leading us off on "hydrogen fuel"
style dead-ends, circle-backs, and going-the-wrong-ways).

Do you want to save Earth, save Michigan, save your family, & save yourself?

Why not come to the conference to learn together, talk together, network together,
and to share a common vision of paths to that sustainable future we all dream of?

I invite you.

http://sustainabilityconference.org/

P.S. If you're curious who I am, I would be the teacher that the Wall Street Journal
did the cover story about last month because, basically, I learned about peak oil a
couple years ago, realized what it meant, and am doing what I can to wake people
up to the reality that we are all merrily dreaming while asleep at the wheel of our
speeding car... and the road is about to take a very sharp blind turn...
(Why else would the WSJ send a reporter from DC to MI for three days to talk
to a school teacher? They're no dummies. This is a serious problem, folks.)

P.P.S. Thanks for reading. Check out the conference page. And then... register. :-)

--
Aaron Wissner
aaronwissner@yahoo.com

Local Future Network
http://localfuture.org

Value System: Gas Prices, Money, Peak Oil and The Future
http://valuesystem.livejournal.com

New Culture Videos
http://www.youtube.com/newculture