E-M:/ March 8 - Double Feature & (Possible) Director Interview!!! -- (send attempt 3)

I wanted to give you a quick update on the March 8 event...  :-)

This afternoon, I took delivery and previewed the classic organic agriculture, low-energy food production film "The Greening of Cuba".  This is an incredible film, often mentioned yet rarely viewed.  We're going to add this to the line up for the March 8 event, and make it a double-feature.  This one is about 35 minutes, so we'll start it at 7 p.m.; have a bit of conversation, and then go to the "Feature Presentation", of "The Power of Community".

At 9 p.m., given that everything works out as planned, we'll attempt a live teleconference with the producer/director of "The Power of Community".  I'm working to get this set up, so its not a sure thing, but it is looking very likely.  This is indeed a very rare and unique event.  I do hope you can attend, and bring a friend or two.

More good news, there are no screening fees on either film, so just a couple dollars suggested donation per person will cover all the venue costs, refreshments, and etc.

This event will bring together a very interesting collection of local food advocate and local food security advocates, so the loosely structured conversation after the phone conference promises to be quite fascinating.

I do hope you can attend.  If you haven't RSVP'd yet, please do so as soon as possible, so I can reserve your seat.

Best regards,

Aaron

The Power of Community & Greening of Cuba - Double Feature!

On Saturday, March 8, Local Future hosts the free double feature West Michigan premiere of "The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil" and encore presentation of "The Greening of Cuba".

When the Soviet Union collapsed in 1990, Cuba's economy went into a tailspin. With imports of oil cut by more than half – and food by 80 percent – people were desperate. The film tells of the hardships and struggles as well as the community and creativity of the Cuban people during this difficult time.

Cubans share how they transitioned from a highly mechanized, industrial agricultural system to one using organic methods of farming and local, urban gardens. It is an unusual look into the Cuban culture during this economic crisis, which they call "The Special Period."

"The Power of Community" opens with a short history of Peak Oil, a term for when world oil production will reaches its all-time peak and begins to decline forever. Cuba, the only country that has faced such a crisis – the massive reduction of fossil fuels – is an example of options and hope.

As a special bonus, the evening will also feature an encore presentation of the classic film "The Greening of Cuba", which profiles Cuban farmers and scientists working to reinvent a sustainable agriculture, based on ecological principles and local knowledge rather than imported agricultural inputs. In their quest for self sufficiency, Cubans combined time-tested traditional methods with cutting edge bio-technology.

Told in the voices of the women and men -- the campesino, researchers, and organic gardeners -- who are leading the organic agriculture movement, "The Greening of Cuba" reminds us that developed and developing nations alike can choose a healthier environment and still feed their people.

"The Power of Community" (53 min.) and "The Greening of Cuba" (38 min.) play on the big screen at the Thornapple Township Emergency Services Building at 128 High Street in Middleville.  Doors open at 6:00 p.m., pre-screening activities begins at 6:30 p.m. An in depth community discussion on agriculture, local food systems, and reducing oil dependence follows the films.

This unique event is sponsored by Local Future, a nonprofit education organization dedicated to helping individuals and communities transition to a sustainable local future.

Capacity is limited to 60.  Reservations are highly recommended and will hold seats until 6:15 p.m.  Contact Aaron Wissner at aaron@localfuture.org for a reservation.

--
Aaron Wissner
aaronwissner@yahoo.com

Local Future Network
http://localfuture.org

Value System: Gas Prices, Money, Peak Oil and The Future
http://valuesystem.livejournal.com

New Culture Videos
http://www.youtube.com/newculture