E-M:/ The POWER of Community + DIRECTOR!!! + Greening of Cuba + DISCUSSION!!! (try 2)

Enviro-Mich message from Aaron Wissner <aaronwissner@yahoo.com>

What will we do if our 2,000 mile meals double in price? How will we feed ourselves?

I just wanted to let you know that everything looks great for "The POWER of COMMUNITY" event on Saturday. The event is a double-feature of two top rated films PLUS a live conference call with the director.

We have 29 reservations already, and can accomodate 58, so if you can make it, please let me know! :-)

[See Press Release at Bottom]

Here is detailed plan:

5:00 -- Dine together -- PHIL'S -- (Just 1 block from Faro's!!!) -- an optional, casual meet & greet -- no agenda!
6:00 -- Doors Open -- Networking Time -- Free coffee + snacks!!!
6:15 -- Reservations released (so walk ins can come in and find a seat)
6:30 -- Introductions (to Build Community)
6:55 -- Film: THE GREENING OF CUBA - 38 min
7:33 -- Film: THE POWER OF COMMUNITY: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil - 53 min.
8:26 -- 10 min Coffee/Drink/Snack break
8:36 -- Conversation: DIRECTOR of Power of Community, Faith Morgan, on LIVE phone conference for a few words and Q & A
9:00 -- Discussion: Community Building Discussion
10:00 -- Announcements & Social and Networking time
11:00 -- Doors Close -- Drive Safely!

This is going to be a very interesting event, bring together some very interesting people from all over Michigan.

I invite you to join us.

Best regards,

Aaron

http://localfuture.org/org/us/mi/49333/Middleville/index.htm

*The Power of Community & Greening of Cuba*

On Saturday, March 8, Local Future hosts the free double feature West Michigan premiere of "The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil <http://www.powerofcommunity.org/cm/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=26>" and encore presentation of "The Greening of Cuba".

When the Soviet Union collapsed in 1990, Cuba's economy went into a tailspin. With imports of oil cut by more than half – and food by 80 percent – people were desperate. The film tells of the hardships and struggles as well as the community and creativity of the Cuban people during this difficult time.

Cubans share how they transitioned from a highly mechanized, industrial agricultural system to one using organic methods of farming and local, urban gardens. It is an unusual look into the Cuban culture during this economic crisis, which they call "The Special Period."

"The Power of Community" opens with a short history of Peak Oil, a term for when world oil production will reaches its all-time peak and begins to decline forever. Cuba, the only country that has faced such a crisis – the massive reduction of fossil fuels – is an example of options and hope.

*NEW* -- In addition, we have the pleasure of a live phone conversation with Faith Morgan, director, producer and writer of the film!

As a special bonus, the evening will also feature an encore presentation of the classic film "The Greening of Cuba", which profiles Cuban farmers and scientists working to reinvent a sustainable agriculture, based on ecological principles and local knowledge rather than imported agricultural inputs. In their quest for self sufficiency, Cubans combined time-tested traditional methods with cutting edge bio-technology.

Told in the voices of the women and men -- the campesino, researchers, and organic gardeners -- who are leading the organic agriculture movement, "The Greening of Cuba" reminds us that developed and developing nations alike can choose a healthier environment and still feed their people.

"The Power of Community" (53 min.) and "The Greening of Cuba" (38 min.) play on the big screen at the Thornapple Township Emergency Services Building at 128 High Street in Middleville <http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=128+High+Street+&csz=Middleville+MI+49333&Get%A0Map=Get+Map>. Doors open at 6:00 p.m., pre-screening activities begins at 6:30 p.m. An in depth community discussion on agriculture, local food systems, and reducing oil dependence follows the films.

This unique event is sponsored by Local Future, a nonprofit education organization dedicated to helping individuals and communities transition to a sustainable local future.

Capacity is limited to 60. Reservations are highly recommended and will hold seats until 6:15 p.m. Contact Aaron Wissner at aaron@localfuture.org <mailto:aaron@localfuture.org> for a reservation.

-- Aaron Wissner aaronwissner@yahoo.com

Local Future Network
http://localfuture.org

Value System: Gas Prices, Money, Peak Oil and The Future
http://valuesystem.livejournal.com

New Culture Videos
http://www.youtube.com/newculture