E-M:/ Town Hall to Protect Michigan Water from Withdrawal and Diversion

GREAT LAKES, GREAT MICHIGAN

CONTACT:  Leigh Fifelski (517) 999-3646

MEDIA ADVISORY: March 6, 2008

*** MEDIA ADVISORY ***

Town Hall to Protect Michigan Water from Withdrawal and Diversion

Experts, activists to discuss threats that would allow 25% of some inland water for taking

The "Great Lakes, Great Michigan" coalition, environmental experts, elected officials and others will discuss a major threat facing Michigan waters: unchecked, large-scale water withdrawals and weak laws that open the door to water diversion. These threats could happen because of loopholes in state law that do not put our freshwater under the public trust and opens the door to withdrawals of as much as 25 percent from some stretches of our inland streams and rivers. Michigan's most precious natural heritage, our Great Lakes and her inland lakes and streams, are coveted by thirsty southern states, large corporate users and water-takers. This important Town Hall will be held on Tuesday, March 11, in Northville.

TOWN HALL MEETING: TUESDAY, MARCH 11, 2008

WHO:             Environmental experts; members of the Great Lakes, Great Michigan coalition; State Representative Marc Corriveau; State Representative Kathleen Law; and State Representative Rebekah Warren.

WHERE:         Northville Senior Center

303 W. Main Street - Northville

WHEN:           Tuesday, March 11 @ 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

To learn more, go to: www.greatlakesgreatmichigan.org and www.michiganwaternotforsale.com.