E-M:/ RE: / US FWS - Coaster Brook Trout 90 day finding

Enviro-Mich message from "Anne Woiwode" <Anne.Woiwode@sierraclub.org>

Thanks Alex! Marvin deserves a great deal of credit for pulling the intial
petition together and the exceptional scientific data the Huron Mountain
Club has collected on this rare fish helped to make the argument for further
review.  The USFWS is also soliciting input to inform their decision making
process.  Here is a letter they sent out on this:

Good Afternoon,

On March 1, 2006, the Service received a petition from the Sierra Club
Mackinac Chapter and the Huron Mountain Club asking the Service to list the
coaster brook trout as endangered under the Endangered Species Act.  In
response to that petition, on March 20, 2008, we will announce in the
Federal Register that we found that the petition contained substantial
information indicating there may be a need to list the coaster brook trout
under the Endangered Species Act and that we will begin a formal review of
the status of the species.

Coaster brook trout are a form of brook trout that spend all or a portion of
their life cycle in the Great Lakes.  Our finding initiates a further
evaluation of the status of the coaster and opens a 60-day public comment
period to provide an opportunity for agencies, conservation organizations,
scientists, and other interested parties to give us any information that
they may have.  After reviewing all of the available information, we will
make a decision whether to propose that the coaster brook trout be listed
under the Endangered Species Act.

Attached is a news release about the coaster brook trout finding and a fact
sheet about the petition process. Additional information about the coaster
is on our web site at
http://www.fws.gov/midwest/eco_serv/soc/fish/cobr/index.html  or you may
contact Jessica Hogrefe (517-351-5467) of our East Lansing, Michigan Field
Office.  If you have information or other comments that you wish to submit
for our consideration, please use the Federal eRulemaking Portal at
http://www.regulations.gov  and follow the instructions for submitting
comments.  Or, comments may be sent to:

Public Comments Processing
Attn: FWS-R3-ES-2008-0030
Division of Policy and Directives Management U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite 222
Arlington, VA 22203.

To ensure that new information and comments are considered in our final
decision on this petition, we must receive them no later than May 19, 2008.

Sincerely,

Jessica Hogrefe

US Fish & Wildlife Service
East Lansing Field Office
2651 Coolidge Road, Suite 101
East Lansing, MI  48823
Phone: 517-351-5467
Fax:  517-351-1443

-END-

Stay tuned for any additional information on this process!

Anne Woiwode, State Director
Sierra Club Michigan Chapter
(517) 484-2372

Congratulations to the Sierra Club Michigan Chapter, Huron Mountain
Club and Marvin Roberson who petitioned the U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service under the Endangered Species Act on the Coaster Brook Trout
found in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

US FWS responds with a 90 day finding that the petition is meritorious
and that further FWS proceedings will take place on the Coaster Brook Trout.