Re: E-M:/ Expansion of Metro Airport Nightmare

Enviro-Mich message from "William Tobler" <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>

This is to increase Metro to be the #4 airport in the country as far as busyness and to make it more "global".
Increase "enplanements" from 18.2 million to 29.3 million.

I live about 10 miles from Metro, and it has become horrible over the last 15 years.
You can't stand outside and talk to someone because the roar of the unmanaged jet engines is deafening.

My brother flew into the McNamara terminal last Christmas. This was my first time there.
What a disaster. The signage is unclear to a newby, both outside and inside. There were no information booth employees anywhere.
The third level ticket booths was deserted. The second level was labeled for international arrivals and departures, but the only employees visible were on the other side of the security barrier, and not available to ask a question.
Only the international flights were shown on the teleprompters. The other teleprompters were dead.

Same thing on the lower level which is for luggage arrival. No where is there is a sign indicating that domestic arrivals come in on the lower level.
The teleprompters again only showed international arrivals. Again, no employees around to ask a simple question.

In the lower level, everywhere you looked it was piled high with lost luggage at the Delta and Northwest gates. Sure enough, when my brother deplaned from Northwest, his luggage didn't show up. We spent 3 hours until 3AM looking unsuccessfully. The excuse given was that Northwest was understaffed and they had skipped using the baggage scanners when my brother changed planes in Minneapolis.

The Northwest attendant (which you could get to after waiting in line behind 20 others with lost luggage) gave us a card with two "direct dial" numbers, an 800 number, and a website address. The next morning, we drove off to Kentucky.

During the day, Northwest called my home and said they had found the luggage. My wife gave them again the Kentucky telephone number, but there was no call. The website said that the luggage was still lost. The next morning I called the "direct dial" number, which is a toll call, and in fact is not direct dial but sends you through a telephone tree to a phone that no one answers. So you still pay the toll call. The second direct dial number didn't work at all. The 800 number refers you to the website, but later in the day switched to voice prompts that tell you that your luggage is lost. 50 calls later, we gave up for day one.

My brother went up to the Tri State Airport, and there the employees tried to call Metro with the same result. Finally, a supervisor gave the employee a "secret" number which actually reached a talking person. She said that she had the luggage in her hands and would route it to Tristate personally and it would come in at 10PM. Tristate told us to call before returning just in case.

At 9PM, we called Tristate and were told that they had no way of knowing, and just drive in. So my brother drove up there and the place was deserted except for the cleanup crew and one luggage handler unloading the plane that had just come in. No luggage from Metro, and no one to talk to.

The next day was Christmas, and we didn't try. The website said the luggage was lost and they were still looking.

The day after Christmas, I called the direct dial number a dozen times with no success. It was always busy. The 800 number said the luggage was lost. The website said the luggage was lost and check back in a little while.

The following day was the same, but we now had pretty well given up.

Two days after Christmas, we drove back to Michigan. About half way home, my wife called and said that Metro had called her and said that they had found the luggage and we should reroute to Metro to pick it up. We had since learned that they had hired a service to home deliver the luggage, and she insisted upon this. Around 5PM on the 5th day, my brother was reunited with his luggage. The delivery man said it was a disaster at Metro, and they were making trips all the way to New Hampshire.

My brother's luggage included Christmas gifts, his clothes, toiletries, his replacement soft contact lenses and his medications (including for depression). His contacts are the kind that self destruct after a few days, which they did on the second day, and hence he was legally blind.

It sure was a joyful holiday. His luggage was carryon, but Northwest insisted on stowing it because it contained a small Swiss Army knife. I later learned that small knives like this are perfectly legit for carryon (per airport documentation at Metro).

So Metro wants more money? First they have to find some intelligent life forms.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alexander J. Sagady" <ajs@sagady.com>