Re: E-M:/ Deer bovine TB transmission to Humans - 2 cases in Michigan

Chuck is correct.
There is no 'hot botton' hunting topic in Michigan greater than deer hunting.  The deer hunters themselves are very much divided usually for selfish or political reasons.  The TB risk factor to humans is just one subtopic and not the most important unless hunters happen to live or hunt in the restricted TB zones.  Often within the TB zones it is not human health that matters, but the complaints centering on the drastic reduction of deer by the DNR and the right-to-bait culture by the slob hunters.  Within the TB zones the local sale by mom&pop businesses and use of illegal bait is much like the 1930's prohibition days.  There are open sales of bulk bait knowing the violators will not care about bait pile small volume regulations.  The political haters of the DNR, DEQ, and Governor Granholm thus use the deer hunting, deer TB, and baiting issues as another way to rally 2008 votes.  Thus bovine/deer TB & human health risk is often ridiculed by the same logic that supports the tobacco lobby.  Note also that the companion issue of deer CWD disease threat to Michigan is much like TB, but in that case the captive cervid industry has Republican Senator Gerry Van Woerkom (Ag Committee) in their pocket to help corrupt attempts by the DNR/DEQ to protect the state deer herd and public health.
Tom Hamilton