E-M:/ Are We Ready to Track Carbon Footprints?

Carbon footprinting of various products and activities is starting to get the public discussion that it deserves.

NYT- People are not good at making immediate sacrifices for an
abstract benefit in the future, especially when they have a
hard time understanding the problem.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/25/science/25tier.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin>

Carbon footprinting is interesting; for example, which has a lesser carbon footprint, a bottle of wine shipped from France or trucked in from California?

Answer =

the French wine carries less for most of the eastern US, but Michigan falls west of the Napa-Bourdeaux divide (Science 319:139, 2008). I guess the wine-bearing ships do not come directly to Detroit.