E-M:/ Why I stay subscribed to Enviro-Mich

Carl,

With your departure from Enviro-Mich I hope there will still be others at the Superior Watershed Partnership subscribed to this listserve.

Back in the day, as President/CEO of the Clinton River Watershed Council, I relied on Enviro-Mich as one of my many sources of Michigan environmental information and commentary.  I certainly didn't agree with all the commentary that I read, but I found it useful to have information about how some people felt about issues, especially those with a deep concern for environmental advocacy.

I led a transition of our organization to reach out beyond the Watershed Council's traditional membership of local governments to additionally embrace businesses and citizens.  We felt that all those within the Clinton River Watershed had to be cognizant of their ownership of the resource in order to maximize the river's benefit to all who worked, lived and played there - including the interests of the flora and fauna.  These various stakeholders have some resource interests in common (for example, flood control) but many other interests (wastewater disposal or trout fishing for example) were divergent.  Enviro-Mich provides a window on to how some feel about threats and opportunities that occur within a river basin.  I relied on different vehicles to obtain other views, the local chambers of commerce and Michigan Municipal League are two examples

It has been many years since I held that position.  Now I'm just an interested citizen.  I still find Enviro-Mich as a very useful tool to stay abreast of the issues and to gain information to act on those issues if I choose.

As with any listserve there are often a handful of folks who often post their same concerns, but with Enviro-Mich there are also many representatives of environmental organization which are sharing vitally important information (legislation, conferences, policy, volunteer opportunities as examples).  Information that often can not be found easily elsewhere.  With Enviro-Mich, this information is delivered directly to my mailbox.

So, if you are un-subscribing because you are leaving the Superior Watershed Partnership then I wish you the best of luck and encourage you to resubscribe with your personal email address.  If you are un-subscribing because some of the chatter on the listserve is annoying you, I ask that you try to ignore it and focus instead on the useful information that this powerful tool provides.

It took me awhile, but I finally have learned that I don't have to read every message that is delivered to me from the listserves to which I'm subscribed.

Wishing you good fortune in your next endeavor.

Erich Ditschman

Visit my blog,Tasty Kidney Pie
http://360.yahoo.com/the_riverdude