E-M:/ "Climate Change in the Great Lakes Region," a conference at Michigan State on April 9-10, 2008

Enviro-Mich message from "Maya E Fischhoff" <mayaef@msu.edu>

Hello,
A final reminder about the upcoming conference, "Climate Change in the Great Lakes" at Michigan State April 9-10. All are welcome -- we hope this will be a chance for discussion and sharing of ideas.

Below is more detail; registration and agenda are at
www.environment.msu.edu/climatechange

Please join us for "Climate Change in the Great Lakes Region," a conference at Michigan State University on April 9-10, 2008.

Climate change is one of the greatest challenges of the 21st century, and adequate response to it will have to be developed at the regional as well as at the global and national level. Following on last spring's symposium, "Climate Change in the Great Lakes Region: Decision-Making Under Uncertainty," we will bring together researchers, decision makers, educators, activists and citizens to examine how climate change will affect the Great Lakes region and how we can respond to it.

The conference will be a day and a half (full day April 9, half day April 10), and will be held at the Michigan State Union. There is no fee for participants.

Session organizers will provide information and facilitate dialogue and exchange.

Session topics include:

The challenge of adapting effectively to climate change
Physical and ecological responses of the Great Lakes to climate change
Biodiversity conservation and climate change in Michigan and the Great Lakes Basin
Impacts of climate change to Great Lakes coastal communities
Open Space for (public discussion of) "no regrets" policies and actions
Activism and action at the state and local level
Economic and policy implications for the Great Lakes Region
Climate change, utilities and regulation
Bioeconomy and climate change
Public values, beliefs and attitudes
Business responses to climate change

Hosted by:
Environmental Science and Policy Program
Michigan State University
www.environment.msu.edu