Sierra Club's Southeast MI group presents:

"The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil"
with WRIF Radio Host Peter Werbe

Thursday, April 3, 2008
6:30pm Potluck
7:30pm Program

Northwest Unitarian-Universalist Church
23925 Northwestern Hwy, Southfield, MI
(located along the south-bound Hohn Lodge Fwy service
drive between 9 & 10 Mile)

When the Soviet Union collapsed in 1990, Cuba's
economy went into a tailspin. With imports of oil cut
by more than half--and food by 80%--people were
desperate. This film tells of the hardships and
struggles as well the community and creativity of the
Cuban people during this difficult time. Cubans share
how they transformed from a highly mechanized,
industrial agricultural system to one using organic
methods of farming and local, urban gardens. This film
opens with a brief history of Peak Oil, a term for the
time in our history when world oil production reaches
its all-time peak and begins to decline forever. While
there remains some debate as to when we will reach
peak oil, most experts agree the time is now. Cuba,
the only country that has faced such a crisis, is an
example of options and hope.

Join us after the film for a discussion with WRIF
radio personality Peter Werbe, host of the popular
"Night Call" show, who has recently returned from
Cuba. He will share his observations about Cuba with
us as we continue to explore local sustainability
strategies for metro Detroit.

Questions?? Please contact Carol Izant at
cogknot@yahoo.com or (248)352-6137.

Check out the SEMG Sierra Club website at
http://michigan.sierraclub.org/semg for more info!

Be a better friend, newshound, and