E-M:/ Congressional Testimony on Jean Klock Park

Enviro-Mich message from LuAnne Kozma <luanne_kozma@yahoo.com>

E/Mer's:

Earlier this month, I went to Washington D.C. to
testify before the U.S. House of Representatives
Appropriations Committee's Subcommittee on Interior,
Environment and Related Agencies to support the Land
and Water Conservation Fund, and to relate to Congress
the travesty that the State of Michigan is engaged in
regarding supporting the privatization and destruction
of Jean Klock Park and the sale of Proud Lake State
Recreation Area.

These are just two examples of the ways in which the
State of Michigan is disregarding this federal law and
the
strict protections it affords our parks.

My testimony at the March 13th hearing can be found at
this URL:

http://www.sagady.com/stuff/writtentestimonykozma.pdf

The subcommittee website is:

http://appropriations.house.gov/Calendar_Events/WitnessInterior3-13-08.shtml

Many parks are at risk the weaker this law becomes.
Perhaps at the top of that list, after the threats to
city parks like Jean Klock and state parks like Proud
Lake, are Warren Dunes and Saugatuck--which also
benefitted from LWCF grant assistance.

We need  as many voices as possible, individually and
as organizations, to publicly  join the many Benton
Harbor residents who are determined to keep their park
intact, and help defeat the plan to take Jean Klock
Park for a privately-owned Jack Nicklaus Signature
Golf Course.
As you know, it is a project supported by Governor
Jennifer Granholm. Despite her support, it is simply
wrong to destroy this park.

If you haven't seen the www.savejeanklockpark.org
website in a while, visit and see how Jack Nicklaus
signature golf courses are failing--mid-construction--
in warm weather ritzy communities.

More information is forthcoming regarding a public
comment period that will begin soon.

Thank you,

LuAnne Kozma
Defense of Place