Re: E-M:/ Congressional Testimony on Jean Klock Park

LuAnne, your statement to the Congressional committee is outstanding.  The general public would be appalled if they knew that their State and local (e.g., Grand Rapids, Benton Harbor, Novi, Detroit, Ann Arbor) government officials have been trying to transfer parkland to developers as a short-term fix for their financial problems.

Doug Cowherd
Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

Enviro-Mich message from LuAnne Kozma <luanne_kozma@yahoo.com>

E/Mer's:

Earlier this month, I went to Washington D.C. to
testify before the U.S. House of Representatives
Appropriations Committee's Subcommittee on Interior,
Environment and Related Agencies to support the Land
and Water Conservation Fund, and to relate to Congress
the travesty that the State of Michigan is engaged in
regarding supporting the privatization and destruction
of Jean Klock Park and the sale of Proud Lake State
Recreation Area.

These are just two examples of the ways in which the
State of Michigan is disregarding this federal law and
the
strict protections it affords our parks.

My testimony at the March 13th hearing can be found at
this URL:

http://www.sagady.com/stuff/writtentestimonykozma.pdf
[snip]