To: <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 11:29 AM
Subject: E-M:/ The Clean Energy Scam

That's the title of the cover article in the April 7 issue of Time magazine (<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1725975,00.html>).

"Hyped as an eco-friendly fuel, ethanol increases global warming, destroys forests and inflates food prices." As these food price increases ripple through the global trading web, they are contributing to social/political instability in places like Pakistan. So, why are we subsidizing it?

The article addresses these issues in an easy-to-read, nontechnical manner. It seems important that the public and our political representatives understand these issues better.

365 = the number of days one person could be fed on the corn needed to fill (once) the tank of an SUV. Hmm.

Even though there are some problems, I believe that there are some ethanol production methods that will be net producers of energy and will help to ameliorate environmental problems.

The other "green" energy technologies seem vulnerable to the same scammers and will need to be applied with good sense.