Re: E-M:/ The Clean Energy Scam

Enviro-Mich message from Aaron Wissner <aaronwissner@yahoo.com>

Keep in mind that all of these impacts, fertilizer
price increases, ethanol production increases, etc,
are directly due to rising oil and natural gas prices.

The reasons oil and natural gas prices are rising is
simple.  For oil, there has been no global increase in
production/extraction for nearly 4 years... but
demand, of course, has been increasing.  This has led
to the rise in prices, and the drive for ethanol
production.

For natural gas, North American production/extraction
peaked a few years ago, which means that the natural
gas supply is not increasing... but, of course, the
demand is increasing... which means that the price has
increased... which in turn has led to a major shift in
both prices and production of fertilizer (since it is
made from natural gas).

We'll be learning a lot more about this at the "Peak
Oil and Climate Change: Paths to Sustainability"
conference in Grand Rapids in May.
http://sustainabilityconference.org  You may notice,
that we have tracks on both transportation and on
farming.

As we (as a global culture) continue to burn up
natural gas and oil, we will see innumerable impacts,
everywhere.  Food production, for one, is on the edge
of a very drastic change, and one that few expect.

--- William Tobler <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>

(<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1725975,00.html>).

> > "Hyped as an eco-friendly fuel, ethanol increases
> global warming, destroys
> > forests and inflates food prices."  As these food
> price increases ripple
> > through the global trading web, they are
> contributing to social/political
> > instability in places like Pakistan.  So, why are
> we subsidizing it?
> >
> > The article addresses these issues in an
> easy-to-read, nontechnical
> > manner. It seems important that the public and our
> political
> > representatives understand these issues better.
> >
> > 365 = the number of days one person could be fed
> on the corn needed to
> > fill (once) the tank of an SUV.  Hmm.
> >
> > Even though there are some problems, I believe
> that there are some ethanol
> > production methods that will be net producers of
> energy and will help to
> > ameliorate environmental problems.
> >
> > The other "green" energy technologies seem
> vulnerable to the same scammers
> > and will need to be applied with good sense.

> > ENVIRO-MICH:  Internet List and Forum for Michigan
> Environmental
> > and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen
> Action.   Archives at
> >
> > Postings to:  enviro-mich@great-lakes.net      For
> info, send email to
> > majordomo@great-lakes.net  with a one-line message
> body of  "info
> > enviro-mich"

> ENVIRO-MICH:  Internet List and Forum for Michigan
> Environmental
> and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen
> Action.   Archives at
>
> Postings to:  enviro-mich@great-lakes.net      For
> info, send email to
> majordomo@great-lakes.net  with a one-line message
> body of  "info enviro-mich"

Aaron Wissner
aaron@localfuture.org
Value System Journal: Peak Oil & Sustainability
http://valuesystem.livejournal.com
Local Future Network
http://localfuture.org
Peak Oil Videos