E-M:/ Job Opportunity - Progress Michigan

Enviro-mich,

I am pleased to announce an exciting job opportunity with Progress Michigan.  We are seeking a highly talented and motivated writer who thrives in a fast paced collaborative environment.  The writer will have the opportunity to work on multiple hard-hitting campaigns that hold public officials accountable to progressive priorities (not for the faint of heart).  The candidate will also work closely with a variety of progressive organizations and causes.  The job description is below.  Please circulate to interested candidates.  If there are questions about the position, please feel free to contact me at the below.  You can find more information about Progress Michigan, including our environmental campaigns at: www.progressmichigan.org.

PROGRESS MICHIGAN
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT
WRITER

Full-time position with PROGRESS MICHIGAN

Application Deadline:  April 21st, 2008 or until position is filled.
Progress Michigan, a new hard-hitting communications and media organization for progressive causes, is looking for a motivated, creative and disciplined writer.  The writer will play a leading role in our efforts to hold public officials and government accountable, promote progressive causes and win the message war against the radical right.

Working from our Lansing office, Progress Michigan's writer will engage citizens throughout the state on priority issues, craft written communication to build support for progressive ideas and creatively engage the public through the use of state-of-the-art Web based new media.
The writer will work closely with the Executive Director and Progress Michigan's staff to ensure our priority campaigns achieve quantifiable goals.

Applicants should be prepared to work collaboratively in a fast-paced office environment, work closely with allied progressive groups and causes, think creatively and meet strict deadlines.

Responsibilities Include:
- Provide written material for multiple hard-hitting progressive issue and accountability campaigns in collaboration with the ExecutiveDirector
- Write press releases, talking points and fact sheets for press conferences and other public events
- Produce written materials for the web page, email action alerts and fundraising appeals
- Research issues, edit copy and monitor the press
- Participate in and promote the online blog community
- Provide creative input in sustained, multi-faceted media and grassroots campaigns

Qualifications:
- Well-organized, self-motivated and able to work cooperatively on multiple projects
- Strong written communication skills and experience writing for political campaigns, media outlets or advocacy organizations
- Ability to write clear copy while maintaining message discipline
- Ability to analyze and effectively communicate complex issues in lay terms
- Successful background writing materials for press conferences including; press releases, talking points, fact sheets and web page updates
- Proven capability in adjusting writing style to meet individual and organizational needs
- Ability to assess information and cope with shifting campaign needs efficiently and intelligently
- Strong commitment to progressive issues and causes
- Works well under tight timeframes and meets deadlines.
- Willingness to work weekday evenings and weekends as needed.

Compensation: Excellent Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.  To Apply:  Please Send resume, cover letter to:  Dan Farough at dan@progressmichigan.org or 517-643-2949.