E-M:/ Oil Awareness Week Kicks Off April 15! + Local Future NEWS!!!

Oil Awareness Week Events - Mark Your Calendar!
* Tuesday, April 15 - Peak Oil 101 with Aaron Wissner
* Thursday, April 17 - Who Killed the Electric Car -- (sponsored by PDWM)
* Saturday, April 19 - What a Way to Go: Life at the End of Empire
* Saturday, April 19 - A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash
* Tuesday, April 22 - The Story of Stuff with Annie Leonard
* Wednesday, April 23 - What a Way to Go: Life at the End of Empire - Encore

Oil Awareness Week Kicks Off April 15! + Local Future NEWS!!!

As chance would have it, a grouping of amazing oil and sustainability events are all coming together starting on April 15, let's call this "Oil Awareness Week".  For myself and Local Future, this is the a ground breaking time, with a host of excellent interesting, educational events and the launch of Local Future Grand Rapids.  These events all tie directly to the Local Future mission and serve as excellent pre-events to the Sustainability Conference in May.  I personally invite you to attend one or all of these fantastic events, host an event of your own, or do some personal research on gasoline prices and sustainability.  See the end of this list of events for a "peek" at the conference, foreclosures, and the problem with air travel.

Peak Oil 101 with Aaron Wissner

On Tuesday, April 15, I'll present my dusted off and updated version of my semi-famous peak oil talk.  This is the same talk that has received over 70,000 views on the internet, and been the core introduction for a number of people to the topic of peak oil.  I'll be providing lots of interaction time, and answering all the questions on gasoline prices, oil prices, peak oil, and any related topic that comes up.  I'm looking forward to this event, and I hope you can attend.  That is 7 p.m. on April 15 in Middleville at the EMS building.  (Find exact address/map at link below.)

http://www.localfuture.org/org/us/mi/49333/Middleville/index.htm

Who Killed the Electric Car???

This event, hosted by PDWM, is an excellent film which also screens right in Middleville at the EMS building venue.  This film is about the life and death of GM's EV-1 full electric car, and the story of the culprits in gathering up and destroying these amazing vehicles.  While not hosted by Local Future, this event fits perfectly into the sustainability and Local Future theme.  This film plays on Thursday, April 17 at 7 p.m.

http://www.sonyclassics.com/whokilledtheelectriccar/

What a Way to Go:  Life at the End of Empire...

This is the West Michigan premiere of this unique sustainability documentary film by a Michigan native, T.S. Bennett.  "What a Way to Go" examines the four issues of oil depletion, global warming, population growth, and biodiversity loss.  It then delves into the root causes of these symptoms of a deeper underlying cultural problem, one with our empire over Earth.  This film is truly a "must-see" for all those who seek to understand the train we are on, and to discover ways to move towards sustainability.  The film plays at Grand Rapids Community College at 12:30 p.m.

http://www.localfuture.org/org/us/mi/49501/GrandRapids/index.htm

A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash (!)

Rated by many as "the best" film on peak oil and oil depletion, this documentary by European filmmakers looks at both the history, the present, and the future of oil.  Oil, like water, is a master resource.  Just as water is a master resource for life, oil is a master resource for our current industrialized civilization.  What happens with oil impacts everything, as born out by the incredible changes in the economy over the past five years.  To my knowledge, this is the first time this film has EVER screened publicly in Michigan.  We'll screen this one on Saturday, April 19, at the EMS building in Middleville.

http://www.localfuture.org/org/us/mi/49333/Middleville/index.htm

The Story of Stuff (with Annie Leonard)

Sustainability is all about understanding the products that we buy... from how they are put together, to where they go at the end of life.  In this short but amazing video, "The Story of Stuff", we discover the nature of the unsustainability in our product generating society.  Join us on Tuesday, April 22 at 7 p.m. at the EMS building in Middleville for this unique look at "stuff".

http://www.storyofstuff.com/

What a Way to Go:  Life at the End of Empire (!) -- Encore

A final chance to see a unique documentary film, or to bring some new friends, on Wednesday, April 23 at 6 p.m. at GRCC.

http://www.localfuture.org/org/us/mi/49501/GrandRapids/index.htm

International Conference on Peak Oil & Climate Change: Paths to Sustainability - Focus MICHIGAN

Planning for the conference is coming along extremely well.  We just added a new and energized member to the planning committee, and received a number of excellent proposals for new presentations.  In fact, there are so many good ones, that I'm going to have to try to get people to bring video cameras to the seminars because there will be no way to see them all.  Just a reminder, the "Advanced Rate" for registration ends on April 15, or when we get to 200 registrants.  Please register early to save yourself some money!  Also, feel free to print out the tri-fold brochure or the poster for yourself or to share!

http://sustainabilityconference.org

The Collapse of the Middle Class:  Inflation, Foreclosures, and the Global Economic Crunch

This is the working title of a brand new presentation I'm thinking of doing.  It is only in the idea only stage.  Today I was reading that some ARM's will "reset" to make the payments up to 50% higher than before.  I did some math.

For a mortgage with $100,000 in principal, going from 6% to 8% interest will increase the monthly payment by $200.  That would be tough for many families, but particularly with the rising oil and gasoline prices, rising food prices, rising unemployment, and rising health care costs.

In one case, a somewhat close relative of mine said "take it" to the bank when he couldn't make payments.  Luckily, they auctioned it off for more than he owed, and he actually got a few dollars out of the deal.

Earlier today, I had a conversation with a woman who's ARM adjusted from a $900/month payment to ... $2,100/month!!!   I am getting shivery shocks all over my body just thinking about how such increases would impact people.  It is no wonder that there are so many foreclosures.  Just think what would happen if interest rates went into the double digits, like they did during the 1970's oil shocks.  Our economy is on the knife edge.

It seems like the right time to have an indepth examination of this to see how the middle and working class are being crushed by this convergence of events.  If I can put one together, I'll offer up a presentation on this topic, which gets the heart of the worries of America, and perhaps, the world.

The Green Myth: Airline Travel Worse!?!

Is airline travel bad?

If one listens to the green rhetoric, one would think so. I like to know for myself, so I did a bit of rough calculating.

I'll soon be flying from Grand Rapid, Michigan (GRR) to Raleigh Durham, North Carolina (RDU). The green myth tells me that I should drive instead, because airline travel is the bad, evil, unethical, wrong.

Read the rest of my article to find out the results of the analysis...

http://valuesystem.livejournal.com

Thank You!

Thank you for reading all of this!  I'm off for a week to visit family in North Carolina.  See you in a few!

Aaron Wissner
aaron@localfuture.org
--
Aaron Wissner
aaronwissner@yahoo.com

Local Future Network
http://localfuture.org

Value System: Gas Prices, Money, Peak Oil and The Future
http://valuesystem.livejournal.com

New Culture Videos
http://www.youtube.com/newculture