E-M:/ new coffee table cook: the waters of michigan

http://msupress.msu.edu/bookTemplate.php?bookID=3388

A look at Michigan's greatest resource through the lens of a camera.

From the Foreword by Governor William G. Milliken:

"I became governor of Michigan at a time when our awareness of the fragility as well as the beauty of water reached new heights. Only the strong collective public will for clean and abundant water enabled my administration to win reforms in state law that restricted or eliminated harmful pollutants and improved the quality of our beaches, lakes, and streams. In my last year in office, 1982, I convened a conference of Great Lakes states on Mackinac Island that brought public attention for the first time to the risk of Great Lakes water diversions and exports. Since that time, the leaders of the region have made commendable progress in fashioning protections against this threat. But we must remain vigilant and do more if we hope to conserve the Great Lakes for all time. We also must stop to appreciate and learn more about the character of Michigan's water. I hope this volume will enrich public understanding of Michigan's most precious natural resource. Michigan can fulfill its potential as a state and a people only by exercising responsible and principled water stewardship."