E-M:/ April ENews from ELPC

Begin forwarded message:
From: "Environmental Law & Policy Center" <info@elpc.org>
Date: April 8, 2008 5:27:27 PM GMT-04:00
To: "Ed Steinman" <esteinma@umich.edu>
Subject: April ENews

Environmental Law & Policy Center
spacer
Global Warming Solutions

ELPC's New Report Links Clean Cars to Better Children's Health and Environment

On April 1st, ELPC and our public health colleagues released a report on the public health and environmental benefits of proposed clean cars legislation in Illinois (HB 3424).  Breathing Free in Illinois: Reducing Air Pollution and Improving Health through Cleaner Cars shows that, each year, the proposed clean cars standard would reduce pollution from vehicles by as much as 16% for "criteria" air pollutants and up to 21% for air toxics by the year 2030.  Those air quality improvements would prevent up to 250,000 lost school days per year and would reduce deaths related to vehicle air pollution by 11% by 2030.

At the press conference, ELPC Executive Director Howard Learner said, "Passing clean cars legislation is an investment in our children’s health, safety and ability to breathe better."  The ELPC report is based on analyses by Cambridge Systematics and Dr. Jonathan Levy, Sc.D., an Associate Professor at the Harvard School of Public Health.

Take Action to Help Pass Illinois Clean Car Legislation

ELPC Campaign Results in Solar-Friendly Interconnection and Net Metering Standards

The Illinois Commerce Commission has finally issued interim interconnection rules to facilitate more small clean wind power, solar energy and cogeneration of up to 10 MW. In addition, as of April 1st, Illinois utilities are required to offer net metering to consumers, a key step for advancing more distributed solar energy.  ELPC is leading efforts to improve these important "rules of the road" that are vital for expanding renewable energy. The Commission is taking public comments to improve upon the current standards.

Read more

Photographers Terry Evans and David Travis Discuss Arts Impact on Environment

On March 20th, Midwest landscape photographer Terry Evans and Art Institute of Chicago Curator of Photography David Travis joined ELPC and our colleagues for a cross-disciplinary discussion about the role of the arts to inspire and support environmental advocacy.  ELPC is currently exhibiting Terry Evans' wonderful "Prairie Scrolls" photographs in our office gallery space.

Watch a video interview of Terry Evans

Top Israeli Environmental Lawyer Presents Global Warming Challenges and Victories

Tzipi Iser-Itzik joined ELPC and our colleagues for a recent lunch presentation on changing Israeli policies to advance global warming and other environmental solutions.  Tzipi is the Executive Director of Adam Teva V’din – the Israel Union for Environmental Defense, which is Israel’s leading public interest environmental law and policy advocacy organization.

divider
Take Action Now!

April is Earth Month - Join ELPC at Events Across the Midwest

Spring is finally here and it's time to get outside to celebrate.  Earth Day is on April 22nd, and the whole month is packed with events where you can get involved and make a difference.  Check out events happening in your neighborhood.

Eco-Tip: Take the Pledge for Earth Day

Make every day Earth Day.  Take our 5-point pledge to make a difference today and be part of the solution.
Take the Pledge

spacer

Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.
 Tell-a-friend!

If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for Environmental Law and Policy Center.

This message was sent to esteinma@umich.edu. Visit your subscription management page to modify your email communication preferences or update your personal profile. To stop ALL email from Environmental Law and Policy Center, click to remove yourself from our lists (or reply via email with "remove or unsubscribe" in the subject line).