E-M:/ U of MI Dearborn Enviro Presentations April 24

Enviro-Mich message from mckennab@umd.umich.edu

Dear EMers,

This Thursday, April 24th, five hard-working student groups are making presentations in my "Anthropology, Health and Environment: Civic Engagement" class at the University of Michigan-Dearborn. Topics include Fermi II Nuclear Reactor pollution, Asbestos exposure at the Ford Rouge, recycling, Dearborn Rouge-affiliated air pollution, Detroit water pollution and more. Students have worked all semester on these projects, using investigative anthropological fieldmethods, and are making PowerPoint presentations based on their findings.

If you are interested in attending, please let me know.

The class meets this Thursday, April 24th, in CASL room 1046. We're meeting from 11:30 to 2:00. Refreshments will be served.

This semester we spent a good deal of time discussing (and sharing literature about) the important work of Michigan Environmental Council groups, including, Citizens Against Chemical Contamination (CACC), the Ecology Center, ACCESS, Friends of the Rouge, the Sierra Club and more. Several MEC organizations worked with my students as community partners, dramatically improving the research. A special salute goes to Kay Cumbow with CACC!

If you attend, this will be an excellent opportunity to forge critical linkages with UM-Dearborn grassroots social justice efforts in environmental health improvement.

Among those attending on Thursday are Orin Gelderloos, Coordinator of UMD's Environmental Studies Program:
http://www.umd.umich.edu/prospective/pdf/casl/environmental%20studies.pdf

And leaders of the U. of Michigan-Dearborn Civic Engagement Project:
http://www.casl.umd.umich.edu/civicengagement/

Again, please contact me if you are interested in coming.

Best,

Brian McKenna, Ph.D.
Anthropologist
Department of Behavioral Sciences