E-M:/ White House slows EPA tests

White House slows EPA tests, inquiry finds
Dry cleaning chemical among those the EPA has yet to assess
The Associated Press
updated 6:06 p.m. ET, Mon., April. 28, 2008

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration is undermining the Environmental
Protection Agency’s ability to determine health dangers of toxic
chemicals by letting nonscientists have a bigger — often secret — say,
congressional investigators say in a report obtained by The Associated
Press.
snip;
One EPA scientist with extensive knowledge of the changes in the
agency’s risk assessment policies ridiculed the claim that the EPA
still has the final say.

“Unless there is concurrence by other agencies, ... things don’t go
forward. It means we stop what we are doing,” said the scientist,
speaking on condition of anonymity because of fear of endangering his
career.

“The (EPA) scientists feel as if they have lost complete control of
the process, that it’s been taken over by the White House and that
they’re calling the shots,” the scientist said.

Michelle Hurd Riddick
2421 Kipling
Saginaw, MI 48602
989-799-3313