E-M:/ U.S. population to hit 1 billion by 2100

Conservationists should pay attention to/understand this discussion.

That's the title of an article in yesterday's (Apr. 29) USA Today.
<http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/census/2008-04-28-onebillion_N.htm>
This would be a tripling of the US population.

They raise the question:
"What do we do now to start preparing for that?" asks Arthur Nelson, co-director of the Metropolitan Institute at Virginia Tech, whose analysis projects that the USA will hit the 1 billion mark sometime between 2100 and 2120. "It's a realistic long-term challenge."

But, I would raise the questions: Who is driving/profiting from this? What are the environmental impacts? Could we even sustain it? Do we need this/can we stop it?