Re: E-M:/ U.S. population to hit 1 billion by 2100

Enviro-Mich message from Aaron Wissner <aaronwissner@yahoo.com>

The USA population will never get close to 1 billion.
Whoever wrote that study clearly didn't understand how
energy, food, and population are related.

We are currently (as most have noticed) on the edge of
the biggest "recession" in recent history, due to a
limitation on global oil exports.  As available
exports begin to decline, the USA is going to be in an
incredibly precarious situation.  We export 2/3 of our
daily petroleum.  All exports could try up in less
than 10 years.  How are we going to transition?

By the year 2010, I would be astonished if the US
population is even a penny over its current level.
More likely than not, it will be significantly lower.

<http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/census/2008-04-28-onebillion_N.htm>
> This would be a tripling of the US population.
>
> They raise the question:
> "What do we do now to start preparing for that?"
> asks Arthur Nelson,
> co-director of the Metropolitan Institute at
> Virginia Tech, whose analysis
> projects that the USA will hit the 1 billion mark
> sometime between 2100 and
> 2120. "It's a realistic long-term challenge."
>
> But, I would raise the questions:  Who is
> driving/profiting from this? What
> are the environmental impacts?   Could we even
> sustain it?  Do we need
> this/can we stop it?

> ENVIRO-MICH:  Internet List and Forum for Michigan
> Environmental
> and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen
> Action.   Archives at
>
> Postings to:  enviro-mich@great-lakes.net      For
> info, send email to
> majordomo@great-lakes.net  with a one-line message
> body of  "info enviro-mich"

Aaron Wissner
aaron@localfuture.org
Value System Journal: Peak Oil & Sustainability
http://valuesystem.livejournal.com
Local Future Network
http://localfuture.org
Peak Oil Videos