From: Rita Jack
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 11:51 AM
Subject: E-M:/ "Army Corps has committed they are responsible" / Slurry Pit update

"The Army Corps has committed they are responsible and if there are any leaks, they need to address them," said Robert McCann, a DEQ spokesman. (See the rest below plus URL.)

There?s that word ?address? again ? can anyone tell me what that means, to ?address? something?  Is it to shake hands with it, or perhaps deliver a speech to it?  Can anyone tell me if that means the slurry pit puts more dioxin into river sediments, the Corps will remove it?  Can anyone tell me that if this means more dioxin out into Saginaw Bay and Lake Huron (our Great Lakes), that the Corps will remove that dioxin?  Can anyone tell me if that means more dioxin into fish, that the Corps will remove those fish and give us clean fish?  Can anyone tell me if that means more people harmed by more dioxin into the fish and onto flood plains and into Saginaw Bay that the Corps will FIX that somehow?  How will they DO that?  And why isn?t Dow Chemical Company responsible for their dioxin, why is it suddenly ok for the Army Corps of Engineers to be responsible for Dow?s dioxin?  Why is any government agency now responsible for Dow?s dioxin?

Is this what Dow wanted all along?

-Rita Jack.

http://blog.mlive.com/bctimes/2008/05/lt_gov_john_cherry_clears_way.html

Lt. Gov. John Cherry clears way for Saginaw River dredging spoils site

Posted by alpayne May 01, 2008 11:29AM

Categories: Breaking News, Community News, Environment, Government

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has won the battle over a dredging site to hold 20 years worth of spoils from the Upper Saginaw River.

Under a compromise worked out in a private meeting with Lt. Gov. John Cherry, the state Department of Environmental Quality won't require a slurry wall or groundwater permit for the site, a $5 million clay pit built on the Bay-Saginaw county line in Frankenlust and Zilwaukee townships.

DEQ staffers who reviewed the Corps plans said a slurry wall and permit were needed to keep contaminated groundwater from migrating off the site and back into the Saginaw River.

"The Army Corps has committed they are responsible and if there are any leaks, they need to address them," said Robert McCann, a DEQ spokesman.

"This allows the project to go forward."

--- SNIP ---

~Rita Jack

><><><><><>><><><><>

Rita Jack

Water Sentinels Project

Sierra Club Michigan Chapter

109 E. Grand River Ave.

Lansing, Michigan  48906

tel:  517-484-2372 x12

www.michigan.sierraclub.org

www.sierraclub.org/watersentinels

Know your watershed!

Make all Michigan's waters fishable and swimmable.