E-M:/ "Exploring the Natural Rivers Section of the Huron River" -- Sierra Club program this Tuesday, May 20 in Ann Arbor

Friends,

The next Sierra Club monthly program -- free and open to the public -- is coming up on Tuesday, May 20 at 7:30 pm in Ann Arbor.

The Sierra Club's Huron Valley Group invites you to hear from noted paddler Ron Sell, owner of Unadilla Boatworks, on "Exploring the Natural Rivers Section of the Huron River."  Ron will explain how the "Country Scenic" designation under the State's Natural Rivers Act helps protect the Huron River.  He will then take us on take a virtual canoe trip through the scenic section of the Huron, with a close-up look at the river's history and natural features along the way.  We will also learn about some of the threats to this very special place.

Newcomers are welcome to this free, family-friendly event, which begins at 7:30 pm at the lovely Matthaei Botanical Gardens (map).  Directions below.

After the presentation, we invite you to stay for refreshments and mingle with friendly people who share your interest in nature.  You can learn about local Sierra Club activities like hiking, skiing, and our conservation projects.

We'll be selling nature-friendly organic coffee and tea, and EarthCash shopping vouchers.   With EarthCash you can help stop sprawl when you shop at many of your favorite stores -- at no additional cost to you.
Everything is available for purchase by cash or check.

Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Doug Cowherd
Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group
~~~
The Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group's public programs are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth roads, just east of Ann Arbor and US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public.  Next month's meeting:

June 17:          Great Lakes For Sale:  How We Are Losing Control of Our Most Valuable Resource
                                 Dave Dempsey, author of the books On the Brink:  The Great Lakes in the 21st Century and Great Lakes for Sale:  From Whitecaps to Bottlecaps

For more information about all local Sierra Club activities:   http://www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/