Re: E-M:/ Dr. Adelaja: We Need a Plan; Ready for Asparagus?

Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

I have to say, I think you're doing N.J. an injustice -- it's pretty wretched in parts around NYC, for sure, but the southern part is quite lovely, and there are some wonderful protected areas around Atlantic City and Cape May, both along the coast and a little inland -- the birdlife in the wetlands areas is good to see. Ospreys, herons, egrets, etc. We've spotted whales off Cape May in the past.
I was very much surprised, when traveling through recently, at how much land is set aside, there and in the south central part of the state. Even the countryside west of New York City, along the I-80 corridor, gets pretty nice toward the border with PA. And it seemed like Jersey City has really cleaned up its act -- nicely planted with lots of green space and attractive gentrification. Much nicer now than I remember it being when I traveled through NJ as a child ...
Anna
We should give credit where it's due, as a positive incentive!

Dr. Adelaja: We Need a Plan; Ready for Asparagus?New Jersey's great planning success?
Is that an oxymoron?

I grew up in New Jersey. In the 1950s, it was a pretty nice place.
In the 1990s, it was a disaster from total absence of prior planning. Not a nice place to visit, and I would never want to live there.
The whole place would go into gridlock at 7am and again at 4pm.
Dirty. Polluted. Congested. Yuk.
----- Original Message ----- From: Jim Dulzo To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 4:50 PM
Subject: E-M:/ Dr. Adelaja: We Need a Plan; Ready for Asparagus?

Dear Enviro-Misher--

We've just posted three opinion pieces by Dr. Soji Adalaja, the director of MSU's Land Policy Institute, along with some great asparagus recipes.

As our leaders rush toward 18th, 19th, and 20th-century solutions (you know...digging up sulfates, selling our water, building more coal plants, stuff like that) to our 21st-century problem , the good doctor Adalaja says that what we really need is a clear plan for developing and growing in ways that protect our resources...aided by a big hand from Washington.

The first of Dr. Adalaja's three commentaries, which looks at Michigan's chance to influence the national scene, is here: http://mlui.org/GrowthManagement/midisaster.asp.

His second commentary looks how having a plan can help us-and uses New Jersey's great planning success as an example:
http://mlui.org/GrowthManagement/miplan.asp.

And the good doctor's last commentary considers the Marshall Plan as a precedent for dealing with the severe damage Michigan and the rest of the Rust Belt are enduring: http://mlui.org/GrowthManagement/marshallplan.asp.

On, ahem, a lighter note...Is your grocery store stocking fresh, local asparagus? If it is, Janice Benson has some terrific recipe suggestions. Check it out here: http://localdifference.org/rtp.asp. Nothing like using delicious, locally grown food to boost the economy!

Thanks for clicking in with us; we hope this finds you well!

Thanks,
Jim Dulzo
Managing Editor
Michigan Land Use Institute
231-941-6584 x 18

Anna Kirkwood Graham, J.D., Ph.D.
"There is no trifling with nature; it is always true, grave and severe; it is always in the right, and the faults and errors fall to our share."
-- Goethe